Sunday, February 16, 2014

Running with Anemia

Things are never so bad that they can't be made worse. ~Humphrey Bogart

I believe I first heard that quote while in the Air Force. It was probably in reference to a bad commander that I couldn't wait to see move on. The military tends to rotate commanders every 2-3 years so we would rejoice when a bad one left. I'm sure some crusty old Chief Master Sergeant saw us rejoicing and threw that quote our way. Inevitably, I learned from experience he was right when the bad commander was followed by someone much worse. I have held that quote in my brain for over 20 years not because I'm a pessimistic person, but because I am a realistic person who likes to be prepared.

I'm going to pick up where we left off because I want to chronicle this adventure for those of you who may find yourselves in a similar situation. I get a great amount of info from others' blog posts and articles I find on the web. What I have found so far is that the issues I am dealing with are estimated to affect up to 80% of women and athletes are not spared. However, there is very little information specific to athletes out there on these topics. I decided I would at least share what I am going through in hopes that others will do the same making more information available to female athletes (and their significant others) everywhere.      

Where we left off: Two weeks ago, I had dropped out of a half marathon race because I had an episode of blood loss the night before. I decided to contact my lady doc since I realized 4 weeks of continuous bleeding was no longer within a normal range of variability for me. She scheduled an ultrasound for me the Thursday of that week and my regular doc scheduled some blood tests for me. I was relieved to get the blood test results showing that I hadn't become anemic since my last blood tests in November.

Just when I thought things were pretty bad, they got much worse. On Friday, I had a meeting scheduled and came prepared in case I had a major flooding episode. Well, the flood gates opened during the meeting and I could not control it. I had to politely excuse myself and drive home. This was flooding of biblical proportion. I had a dinner date with a friend that night at her house and experienced another flooding episode that led to an embarrassing admission on my part and sitting on a towel for the rest of the evening. My friend was, as I of course expected, very gracious.

I went for two runs over that weekend. Seven miles on Saturday and 12 miles on Sunday. I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to pull this off and maintain a decent (7:30) pace. I was definitely tired, but I was never on the verge of passing out or anything extreme.

Last Monday at 2 a.m., I woke to heavy bleeding and decided I needed to take action. I immediately sent a message to my lady doc. It was returned immediately with an out of office message. Damn it! I was luckily able to make an appointment with my former lady doc for that morning.

During that visit, my doc started with my ultrasound results which showed I had fibroids growing somewhere in my uterus. One of them was a big daddy, protruding 7cm into the uterus. The doc explained this was the likely culprit causing my excessive bleeding. However, she said that the IUD I had in place should be spewing out hormones to counteract the bleeding. We decided to have her take a look inside the madness, do an endometrial biopsy to rule out super bad stuff and remove the IUD to see if maybe it was contributing to my problems.

When she started checking under the hood, she got a concerned look on her face. She told me she couldn't find the IUD. She then checked the ultrasound report which would certainly note a foreign object in my uterus had it been present. No notes. She said that she has seen this a couple of times in her long career, and it was always associated with heavy bleeding. So, it appears I am now a human pez dispenser of IUDs. It seems crazy to me that something that big could come shooting out of me and I would not have seen or felt it. She said it is rare, but it happens. When I told my mom about this her response was, "well, I always told you you were special".  

It was a convenient explanation for what was happening. At some point, I lost the IUD and the hormones it was pumping into my system. When that happened, everything went haywire. So, the temporary solution was to put me on a heavy dose of progesterone pills and see what happens. We also went over the options that may be available to me depending on the results of the biopsy. Surgery of some kind looks like a probable next step. She explained that she was happy I had the blood tests done the week before because anemia was the most immediate concern with this issue. Since I wasn't anemic, we had some time to experiment with different treatments.

Not so fast...I got the blood test results back that I had taken after my appointment with the doc on Monday evening. I had become anemic over the weekend. Since this mess started, way back in November, I had wondered how much blood loss I could sustain before becoming anemic. This made me even more impressed with the two runs I had been able to complete over that weekend. This wasn't like low ferritin making me lose a few seconds per mile in my workouts. This was full on anemia. Interestingly, I asked to have my ferritin checked and it was 28, which is the same as it was in December. So, the iron supplements were clearly maintaining my blood iron levels high enough to continue to store iron.  I thought this was particularly germane given my discussion in last week's post about hemoglobin and ferritin. I just didn't expect to become Exhibit A in my own experiment so quickly.  

The progesterone started working within the first two days to reduce the bleeding but then, Wednesday morning, I woke to mind-blowingly painful abdominal cramps. I complained a bit to the Genius before he left for work, but told him I'd be fine. Then, I wasn't fine. I tried to stand and started seeing stars. I became clammy and sweaty. I looked in the mirror and was pale as a ghost. My fingertips were ghostly white. The pain was unbearable and NSAIDs were doing nothing to curb it. I called the Genius and asked him to shuttle me to the ER. He raced me there as fast as he could while I lay moaning in the seat next to him. I pleaded with him to run a red light when we seemed to be stopped there for hours.

As per usual, the ER was an adventure, but not as great as the one I had there that time I left with a full leg, bi-valve cast. I was lucky to have a good ER doc this time who has actually been following up with me via email. He gave me an IV to help hydrate me and a big dose of ibuprofen to help with the cramps. It wasn't until I got the narcotics that the pain finally went away. They also ran more blood tests and the results came back showing I had become more anemic in the last 36 hours with a hemoglobin level of 9.6. The doc discharged me, declaring this heavy menstrual cramps and told me to keep up with the iron supplements. I will admit I felt like a bit of an idiot having gone to the ER for "menstrual cramps". I should return if the bleeding came back full force or if I pass out though he reassured me that I could still lose a lot more blood before it would be dangerous enough for them to transfuse. Comforting.

I had follow up blood work taken on Friday, and it came back showing no improvement over Wednesday's results but at least it wasn't worse. My results for the past few blood tests are shown below for reference:
And that's what a week of blood loss will do to you.
This weekend, the mad scientist came out in me, and I decided this was a great opportunity to see how much the anemia affects my running. I first asked the ER doc if it was safe to exercise and he said that I could exercise to tolerance but to try not to pass out. Doctor Mom did not agree with these  medical instructions and ordered me not to run. Sorry Mom.

I ran Thursday, the day after the ER visit and it was slower than the runs over the weekend, but I didn't pass out. Yesterday I decided to run a workout. It was the workout I was supposed to have done earlier in the week. After deciding to push my next marathon to the summer or fall, Jack put me back on short repetition training similar to what I had been doing last winter.

I must admit that I was a little afraid about how my body might respond to high levels of exertion, so I brought my iPhone with me just in case. I also used the livetrack feature on my new Garmin 620 so that the Genius and my mom could track me during the run. I ran to the practice track at Sac State and had to climb over the fence to gain access. I realized that I must be pretty determined to get this workout done if I was willing to climb the fence to get to the track.

After huffing and puffing through a few strides, I started my workout:

4 x (200m Rep pace/200m jog + 200m Rep pace/200m jog + 400m Rep pace/400m jog)

The first split was 37 and I felt it. I jogged the next 200m and decided I would try to slow the rest of these down. The 400s were tough. I got heavy-legged in the last 100m like I had done 10 or 12 400s before the first one. I walked a bit of the 400m recovery lap and then slowly jogged to the start line to start again. I was shocked at how well this workout went. I ran within a few seconds of my prescribed (non-anemic) paces with the 200s averaging around 39 and with every 400 in exactly 82 seconds. I was tired for sure, but I wasn't passing out. I did notice the anemia during the recovery jogs which became recovery walks for the first few meters between reps. That didn't compromise the workout at all given that the purpose of a repetition workout is to improve running economy by running fast with good form and without strain. This means taking full recovery in between each repeat even if it means taking a little longer to start the next rep.

I jogged back to my car feeling really proud of myself. It wasn't so much about having run a great workout despite my condition. I was happy to have overcome the fear of the unknown. I have felt tired from low iron stores before, but this was serious stuff that had me staring down the barrel of a potential blood transfusion. How would my body respond to the effort? Would I pass out at some point? Would the effort trigger more blood loss? These were the fears I started the workout with and effectively slayed.

I'd like to end with a look back at why my experience is relevant to you, my readers. Many of you will never have to run with full blown anemia, but if you do, at least you'll have my experience to draw from. I will be continuing to post about my progress in recovering from the anemic state I am in and how it affects my activities. There is a ton of information about running with sports anemia (low iron stores) and pseudo anemia (relatively low concentration of red blood cells due to higher blood volume in athletes), but I found zero about running with clinical anemia. If it's out there, I'd love to know about it and post a link.

And, for you lucky ladies heading into your 40s, there is a good chance (maybe as high as 80%) that you either have or will have fibroids. Many women never know they have them and get along fine. For others, they can cause crazy problems like the ones I am experiencing (assuming it's the fibroids doing this to me) but might even present as a sports-related injury like this Aussie triathlete describes in this interview (be sure to click on "show" next to the word "transcript" on the page to read the interview). Her fibroid was pressing on nerves in her spine giving her severe leg pain that wouldn't resolve and made her stop running altogether. It's a great story of courage and the power of pushing back on those in the medical profession.

I will continue to use my body as a laboratory of sorts and post the information. I am most interested in follow up blood work and how my running and racing times and perceived exertion levels change along with my CBC readings. I am of course curious to see how long it takes to dig myself out of this anemic state as well. I have read predictions of 1-2 months all the way up to a year. I imagine this is an individual thing, but I will at least share my experience.                                        

Thanks to everyone who has wished me well through this journey. I wish it were nearing conclusion but I have a feeling it has just begun.

Until later,

Anemia girl, signing off.



  1. Fascinating and scary at the same time. Why do I have this image of you running around the track wearing a white lab coat and a clipboard? It sucks what you are going through but describing your experience will continue to benefit others. Hang in there.

    1. Thanks, DT. Wait. Did you see me running around the track? Haha. I left the lab coat at home. Thanks for your support and braving the all too gory details of my blog posts.

  2. "Fascinating and scary" is right! This is awful, but great that doctors are on the case. Did your mom yell at you for waiting 4 weeks before you went to the ob-gyn?

    1. Thanks, Heather. Doctor Mom has a lot of opinions:)

  3. Most prostate cancers are adenocarcinomas, cancers that arise in glandular cells of the prostate’s epithelial tissue. Prostate cancers usually progress slowly and produce no symptoms in the initial stages. Eventually, the tumor may enlarge like mine too, the prostate gland, pressing on the urethra and causing painful or frequent urination and blood in the urine. So I was so uncomfortable with this prostate cancer diseases then I decided to do online search on how to cure cancer because I well have read a lot about herbal medicine, I came across a lot of testimony how Dr Itua cure HIV/herpes then Cancer was listed below the comment.with courage I contacted Dr Itua and he sent me his herbal medicine through Courier service then I was asked to pick it up at my post office which i quickly did. I contacted Dr Itua that I have received my herbal medicine so he instructed me on how to drink it for three weeks and that is how Dr Itua Herbal Medicine cures my prostate Cancer, The treatment takes three weeks and I was cured completely. Dr Itua is a god sent and I thank him every day of my life. Contact him now On:   Whatsapp:+2348149277967.
    He listed that he can as well cure the following diseases below.... Cerebral Amides. Lung Cancer,Brain cancer,Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,Hodgkin lymphoma Intestinal cancer,Kidney cancer,Leukemia,Liver cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Multiple myeloma,Neuroendocrine tumors,Hodgkin lymphoma,Oral cancer,Ovarian cancer,Sinus cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer,Meniere's disease , Testicular cancer,Throat cancer,Thyroid Cancer,Uterine cancer,Vaginal cancer,Vulvar cancer. Alzheimer's disease,Autism,measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheria Adrenocortical carcinoma. Alma, Uterine Cancer, Breast Cancer, Allergic diseases. Kidney cancer, Love Spell, Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Generalized dermatitis,Alzheimer's disease,Brain Tumor,Lupus,Endometrial Cancer, cerebrovascular diseases  
    Dementia.Colo rectal cancer, Lottery Spell, Bladder Cancer, Skin Cancer,Ovarian Cancer,Pancreatic Cancer, HIV /Aids,Brain Tumor, Herpes, Non-Hodgkin lymphoma, Inflammatory bowel disease, Copd, Diabetes, Hepatitis